Sub-forms are re-usable forms that can be added to your other forms via the Sub-Form Selector field. Sub-forms allow for easier form setup in the cases where you need to capture repeating instances of the same type of data.
An example of this is an order with line items. In this scenario, you would create a re-usable sub-form that represents a line item and add that sub-form to your order form via the Sub-Form Selector field.
The following instructions provide a step-by-step walkthrough of setting up and using a sub-form.
Creating a Sub-Form
- Login to https://manage.fastfieldforms.com using your administration username and password
- Open your form, and add the subform field type.
- On the right side panel, you will then be able to click "Create New Subform"
Add Fields to Your Form
- Click the button on the Fields List to add a few fields to your sub-form
- Click the Single Line Text Field Type Icon
- Click the Photo Selector Field Type Icon
- Click the Switch Field Type Icon
- Click the
Your sub-form should look similar to the screen below:
From this point, you can configure the sub-form field as needed. For details on the different options to configure a Sub-Form Selector field see: Sub-Form Selector Configuration
Notes and Limitations of Sub-Forms
The following are some important notes and known limitations of using Sub-Forms in FastField
- Sub-Form Selector fields cannot be added to a sub-form (e.g. sub-forms do not allow infinite nesting of data).
- Sub-Forms do not contain Pages in their organizational structure.
- If the definition of a sub-form changes, any form that has a reference to the sub-form must have the definition of this sub-form refreshed in order to reflect these changes. Do this by opening the Sub-Form Selector field configuration for the sub-form that has changed and clicking on the button. Be sure to save the form after refreshing the sub-form definition.
- Sub-form data contained in form submissions cannot be exported to CSV format.
- Sub-Form Selector supports allowing users to create one or many sub-form instances via the FastField apps. In the cases where many instances can be created be sure to use the Value Mask setting of the Sub-Form Selector. Refer to see: Sub-Form Selector Configuration for more information on the Value Mask setting.